As of writing this post, it looks like many of you have not seen the contest yet. I’m hoping those of you that do know about it will tell the others, and I’ll give you a day to get points for the questions you answer on Quiz #1. Remember, I’m preparing you for your competition this weekend!
6. Willy Wonka’s famous ice cream shop has three types of ice cream cones: the Rocky Road Regular, the Tiger Stripe Tall, and the White Chocolate Wide. Yum. They all have the same dimensions, except the tall’s height is three times the regular’s, and the wide’s diameter is twice the regular’s. Does the tall cone or the wide cone hold more ice cream, and how much more? Express your answer as a common fraction (ratio of the bigger cone to the smaller one). (10 pts.)
7. Given a standard, fair coin, what is the probability of flipping the coin three times and getting exactly two heads? (10 pts.)
8. If the sum of 10 consecutive numbers is 395, what is the sum of the odd numbers among them? (10 pts.)
9. Bonus. Joh can mow half an acre of lawn in 1 hour. His good friend Num can mow a full acre in one and a half hours. If they start mowing a 10.5-acre lawn at 10:00 AM together, at what time will they finish? (20 pts.)
10. Bonus. The height of a falling object in feet as time passes is given by h = -16t2 + vt + s, where v is the initial velocity of the object and s is the initial height. If a projectile is launched off a 24-foot building at an initial velocity of 40 feet per second, how many seconds later will the projectile hit the ground? (20 pts.)